Sunday, October 12, 2014

Implications and Teaching Opportunities for Camera Use in Teaching and Learning

smart phones

My Special Assignment from EDM310 Class Blog

Part A

      The main implication that I got from the data on this post was that technology is unavoidable. This means that education has to change. We need to adapt to our generation so that our children can learn and lead us to a better tomorrow. Schools need to be able to support this change. They need to have the technology available for students to learn. Teachers need to change their methods to adapt project-based learning with technology and stay within or go beyond the curriculum requirements.
      There are a couple other implications in this data that stem off of the above one. It proves that we need to use many types of technology. Computers, smart phones, cameras, iPads, and any other technology device or program that comes into existence can be used to enhance the learning process. That is a process that never ends because our world is always changing. It also implies that our generation can not function without technology, and that they can be easily distracted by technology. So why not use the appeal of technology to the teachers advantage. Let their learning activities distract them from pointless activities.

Part B

      I think that technology can enhance the learning process for my future students. This post is focused on using a camera. Since I am going to be teaching high school math, this limits my usage of a camera. I know that I am going to use the project-based learning method to teach my students, and I know that I am going to have a class blog. I will have them post their thoughts on their project on the blog, and I can get the students to post pictures of their group as they are doing the project. I think this can help create a fun, friendly environment when working on their projects.
      I was also thinking about how I could use a camera with Popplet. When I have the students in groups working on a problem, I can have the students post a picture of their work on Popplet. With math, this can be very helpful. There are many different ways you can approach a problem. One group may use the easiest way possible, and it could make sense to everyone. Other groups may use harder methods that can help other students understand the concept of the problem better. Some groups may go completely wrong, and that can help other students understand why that method for that problem is not good. This will help them experience all of these paths in a shorter time.
      Another idea is to have them manipulate the pictures of shapes. You can take a picture of a triangle and blow it up or make it smaller. The students will be able to see how the angles are the same but the sides are different. They can also see how some triangles fit together to make a rectangle, and this can help them teach the properties of a line that passes through two parallel lines(the angles the line creates and the similarities between them). I'm sure this can help with all of the shape's properties in Geometry. This way they can experience first hand the relationships and properties between shapes.
      I know that there are many other ways I can use a camera in the classroom to enhance learning. I plan on collaborating with teachers across the world to learn more ways to incorporate technology into my classroom. I look forward to using project-based learning with cameras and other technology! I also look forward to being a life-long learner, not for my benefit but the benefit of my future students! It is all about them, right?

Thanks for reading!
Jennifer L. Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment